March 14, 2008

Vegetarian Week Update part II

I think we're going on three weeks now, and Jesse is going strong. He's probably not getting enough protein, but he's a big boy. He can figure that one out for himself.

The kids, missionaries, and I are slowly chipping at the meat in the freezer. We got a new elder with a hollow leg, so we'll have him over again before he transfers.

My favorite meal thus far is Poofy Pancakes, Savory Style. They're great with syrup for breakfast, but savory is almost better. Here's the recipe.

Poofy Pancakes (puff pancakes, german pancakes, etc) Savory Style

3 T butter
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
pinch or more of salt
couple of grinds of pepper
1-2 fistfulls of shredded cheese lightly coated in flour
veggies of your choice
mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, onion, etc. saute first if they are high water content.
chopped ham for the kid's half of the pan

Preheat oven to 425F (I think. I know it's supposed to be hot. I've become amazingly slapdash with my crappy oven here. I think I put it at 200 Celsius.)
Place 9x13 pan in oven with butter in it.
beat eggs. Add milk. Add flour and seasoning.
Pour mixture into hot pan. Add veggies, cheese, and ham. Return to oven. Bake for 20 minutes or so. Serve with green salad. Just don't add anything from pepper on down if you want it for breakfast. Great with jam, yogurt, lemon juice, powdered sugar, syrup, you name it.

I usually make 1 1/3 recipe to make the mixture thicker.

We thought it tasted like quiche, but better. The kids liked it a lot. And that makes it a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...