August 4, 2011

The Kitchen

I love our kitchen.  The first few days after we moved in, Jesse and I found ourselves sitting on the kitchen floor at night.  It was the most put together room in the house, and we just loved how it felt.  I will love it even more on Friday when Andy our trusty plumber comes to install our dishwasher.

Our sink is huge.  Jesse really wanted a farm sink and they are super expensive.  Unless you get this one from Ikea.  Then it's just super huge.  I wanted the smaller one tub version, but this one does make a statement.    I sewed curtains for the two windows and our doorless cupboard from this cute fabric.  Gwyn insisted that I get the floral as well as the circle pattern.  I think she was right.  I like the different designs but same colors.   You don't even really notice that they are different (especially if you're Jesse!).
This is our delightful new slide in range.  It's fun having gas again, and the convection oven really does cook things evenly.  It's a little weird having to cook things at the low end of what the recipe calls for.  In this picture you can see the curtain cupboard.  We didn't have enough space to do a lazy susan, but we wanted to get the most out of what space we had.  So we left the cupboard open, and it goes all the way back to the wall.   I'm not sure if it was the best way to do it, but oh well!
Jesse made this open shelving for what we use everyday.  We found the wrought iron shelf brackets at an antique mall, though they are definitely not antiques.  We wanted to keep the kitchen looking open, so that's why we opted for these shelves instead of a traditional cabinet.

This picture is a little wonky, but it's what we ended up with by the fridge.  At the last minute, we realized we didn't have a junk drawer or a place for the microwave.  With this arrangement, we have a little bit more counter space, and a cool cupboard up top.  I use the counter all the time for making things right out of the fridge like sandwiches.

So this is our way too fancy for us kitchen.  It's awesome, but I feel like I'm in a time share, y'know.

9 comments:

  1. So cute. I need an aerial view or from a distance. I want to see the whole room. I can't quite put the whole kitchen together in my head. I love all of the components though. Super fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very fancy. cute curtains too! i like the open shelving too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've leaned that getting used to comfort and nice things takes no time at all. It will feel like your own kitchen very soon. I love the dark wood. You guys did good with the little space you have. I love the window right next to the stove, it's probably the most useful feature of the whole kitchen that way the whole house doesn't have to smell like a kitchen. Such a cute house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all the dark wood. agree with kaity, though, that we need a whole kitchen shot. how much of the cabinetry did you guys install? Or was it all in place with the house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rixa told me you had made it to Wisconsin - I wanted to come and check out the new digs! Adorable house - SO HAPPY for you guys and SUCH a difference from where you were making sandwiches last year! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the big sink and the convection/gas stove. I am soooo jealous. Jake has already told me that we probably won't be getting a gas stove and I'm like, "then what's the point?" Mope, mope.
    I didn't even really think as far as a dishwasher. But as long as I'm dreaming...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love your kitchen! And probably your whole house. I am kinda (a lot) jealous, but there are days when I'm glad we're still renting. Miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wall color!
    Congrats on having a house that you can really make your own. You're doing a great job! I can't wait till next year when we re-do our kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...