March 18, 2007

Migraine

I've suffered from Migraines since I was eleven or so. I remember taking a phone call from a customer on my newspaper route and I was trying to take care of their complaint and not vomit. It was years before I could properly manage them, and even now, they can catch me off guard.

Yesterday was one of those days. The pounding pressure in the back of my brain, glaring sunlight, then nausea, cold sweats, sensitivity to all smells, and then, almost passing out at the snack shop. We just happened to be at the San Diego zoo yesterday, so the smells of urine, feces, public toilets, flowers in bloom, popcorn, and the flamingos who stink on any other day, were overwhelming yesterday.

I drank a 32 oz cup of coke, and felt much better. My drug of choice is Dr. Pepper, but any caffeinated beverage will do. After driving home, I dropped sleeping Gwyneth in bed, and put myself in bed with the covers over my head. Darkness, familiar smells, quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...