November 11, 2010

Home

Jesse and I both read the NYTimes online.  We hardly ever read the same articles and this is probably one of them.  It's about palliative care and how patients and caregivers create a home for them to die in.

One of the most amazing experiences of my life was helping my grandmother her last month of life.  We listened to soft music.  We looked at pictures.  We fed her Haagen Dazs, because when you're dying, who cares about fat.  We visited with all the great people who dropped food by the house.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be surrounded by alien heads, but a warm beach, a beautiful garden, lots of kids and grandkids someday.

For now, making our home beautiful still weighs on my mind.  I had kind of given up on this house because it has so many problems.  But maybe I need to give it another chance.  Put a little elbow grease into it.  Get the scary places organized.  A few more plants.  A few more pictures.  I don't want to wait until I die to have my dream home.
This was taken at the cemetery in Maine.  It overlooks the river.  Not a bad view for a final resting place.

1 comment:

  1. You've inspired me. I hated our house when we moved in. Then we started to fix it to look better so we'll be able to sell it in a couple of years. Now I want to fix it to make it mine...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...